Sunday, January 8, 2012

a turkey baster does what?

I couldn't decide what to write about for my first official post. 
So I thought I'd make it easy on myself and post about something I already had pictures of! 
Here is a fun color-theory activity that I did in my classroom. The only thing I hate is cropping out my kids' cute faces since they're not actually my children :)



I just threw in the term 'color-theory' because it sounded impressive, especially for two year olds. Some of them got it but it was more than just "yellow and blue make green."
 (of course I was so excited when they could tell me that!)




Turkey Basters seemed like an obvious choice since it was November and we were talking about turkeys. While it makes sense to us as adults, there is very little connection between moistening a turkey while it cooks and a plastic toy that makes a huge mess when you squeeze it! 
Save your breath and skip the culinary lesson :)



I put bowls of yellow and blue paint in the sensory table. I mixed in a little water so it would be thin enough to go in and out of the baster. I gave them the basters and showed each of them how to squeeze it before putting it in the paint and then let go. It was tricky but they got the hang of it. 





Paint brushes were requested since we were in fact using paint. (so literal sometimes) Hands are always encouraged and are usually the painting tool of choice. We saved the green (more like teal) paint we made and will use it another day. 

Developmental Areas:
sensory, discovery, science, fine motor, cause and effect and more 


3 comments:

Donn said...

Cat,Having 3 daughters,6 grandkids, 12 barn kids all over the age of 2 now, I agree,the coolest part is to watch there faces when they GET IT. Water base paint easy clean up & off You did good, Nice job

Catherine Weltman said...

Thanks so much!

Donn said...

A teacher is using a learning-teaching game that is she says a body part and chosen student points on themselves where it is.She asks the next little boy where the kidneys are. The young boy points to his knees. The teacher says again the word kidneys, the little boy points at his knees with both little hands & looks up at his young teacher & says These are my Kid Knees. Thought of you when I heard it.